Monday, November 25, 2013

Nov. 18th, 2013

Okay, so first things first. I am getting transferred to Edinburg to be the DL there. I am super excited and scared at the same time because gaining the trust of a District can be tough at times considering they have no idea who you are or what you are about but I survived it twice now so I can definitely do it again. I am going to miss this little place here in Raymondville. If you had asked me if I was going to miss it 2 transfers ago I would have laughed I didn't think I could miss it. However, the Lord has taught me many a lesson here some fun and others not so fun but my testimony has grown a ton in my time in this tiny little place. I think the greatest lesson I have learned here has been to never, ever give up. Any soul worthy of baptism is a soul worth saving, or at least I think that is how it goes. I have battled harder here with these investigators than I ever did in Mercedes and though they have been struggles they have been worth every stressful moment, and this Sunday to finish off my stay here God gave us a miracle.

 

So we have been working with Matthew the 12 year old who has been going to church faithfully since July with a member family. He is a great kid and wants to be a deacon and go to the temple so Badly we couldn't help but teach him. So for the past few weeks we have been teaching him and his Baptisimal date was the 17 of November and so about 2 weeks ago we started trying to get permission from his mother to let him be baptized. The mother in atheist or Catholic we aren't sure she has told us both and isn't the biggest fan of the missionaries. However, Matthew told us that she was okay with him learning and stuff and that Baptism wouldn't be a problem. So we gave him the record to sign and he took it and well he kept giving us excuses for not having it signed. Obviously this was a red flag so we kept asking him. Matthew does your mom know? Yes elders she does. Okay so go get the paper signed. So come Saturday morning the paper still wasn't signed so we went to talk to Mom, well mom lied to us through her daughter who told us that she was at work. Now we know mom doesn't work because she is in a wheelchair and never leaves the house. However, we can't force anyone into anything so we sent Sister Quintero by because they are really good friends and Sister Quintero got the record signed! Best news ever right? Well so we called the ZL's and they drove the half hour to Raymondville to give Matthew his interview and well, Matthew never ever showed. His older Sister threw a fit when she found out he was being baptized and so she and her mother kept him hostage in the house and wouldn't let him leave....Truly it was devastating. We had grown to love this boy a lot, he is a quiet kid and not the most popular but his heart and his desires are pure. Unfortunately, there just was nothing more we could do, nothing at all.

 

So we went on with the rest of our plans and we got straight owned. Nothing came through no one was home, it was one of those days that makes you just want to lay on the floor and just nap forever. Not even the cheesecake we baked for a member in our areas birthday worked out as well as we hoped. We were working super hard not to let desanimo get the best of us. What was worse was that we had promised the Lord we were going to have a baptism that week. Now Please remember, we understand that we deal with people not baptisms and that it isn't some game of numbers but when you set a goal and promise the Lord you will hit it you are accountable to that goal and not hitting it sucks. So after all our plans fell through we went to see Vanessa, we sat with her and her kids and just started talking a bit. I then looked over at Elder Newland and then at Eryn, Vanessa's unbaptized daughter and started just  nonchalantly asking her the baptisimal interview questions and Elder Newland followed my lead. We made it through all the questions and she had answered them all right and with a lot of understanding so Elder N and I looked at eachother again and I looked Eryn right in her face and just asked her, "Eryn, do you want to get baptized tomorrow?". Now it caught her off guard for sure but then she thought about it for a few moments and she responded, "Sure!" It was awesome. She came to church the next day and fought with us all day about stupid things like that the Jumpsuit was ugly and stuff. Then she blackmailed me into telling her my middle name. She told me, "I won't get baptized until you tell us your middle name." I wanted to punch her but she is 12 and just loves giving the missionaries grief and I have never met another person who is as good as Eryn at giving grief. Long story short she got baptized and we hit our goal and we received a miracle from the Lord and it was just super rad. God knew someone was going to be baptized we the missionaries just didn't know who. He led us to her though.

 

Lesson learned : God knows what's up all the time and we don't really know much. That is why we have to make sure we give him our trust.

 

I love you all and miss you

 

Elder Bassett

 

P.S. Elder Newland didn't bring his camera cord so it is definitely his fault I can't send pictures I will send them though I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment