Alright so real quick here is what went down this week. First of
all I hit my year mark and I hate it because that means I am old and
that means that time is moving too quickly. My Companion Elder Newland
went around telling the members that it was my birthday and they
wouldn't believe me when I said that it wasn't and so when I was on
exchanges for a couple days this week the members went nuts. Especially
Sister Calvo, she is a great lady, and she loves to do stuff for other
people so she told all the members to bring stuff to the Book of Mormon
class we hold every week and man they definitely did. Most of it was
tuna though so I had to force it all down. I couldn't tell them no after
all the work they put into it for me. Luckily Sister Calvo baked a very
very delicious chocolate chocolate cake and I loved every second of it.
When she found out that it wasn't really my birthday and that it was my
"Mission Birthday" she just laughed and thanked me for my service and
stuff. She still has my number 20 birthday candles she was going to use.
I am turning 21 this year not 20 but we don't
tell her stuff we just let her do her thing.
Misael didn't come to church although he did read to Jacob 5 in his
BoM reading which is by far the most I have ever seen an investigator
read before baptism. Then we found out he felt as though he had a
learning disability because he didn't understand it so he read it about 4
times. Elder Newland told him, "Misael, I don't even read Jacob 5 that
often, nor do I understand it." It was hilarious but it really is good
to see that he is reading and progressing. We just need to get him to
understand the Sabbath Day and come to church. Then it'll all be smooth
sailing.
Derek moved out of our area this week and into Harlingen so he is
no longer our investigator but he is truly a great man and he is trying
to change. When we were talking he told us the stories about how he was
before he moved down to Raymondville and how he and his 2 pitbulls, Red
and something else, fought a lot of people and, "Messed them up." He
also told us his kill command for Red, who is ridiculously well-trained,
and really I doubt it is appropriate for the email. After story time
about Derek and Red and their adventures in the streets of illinois he
told us that he has had to work really hard not to explode on some
people here because and I quote, "Raymondville ain't ready for that, it
just ain't ready for that." Derek did ask if we could still be his
missionaries and it sucked to tell him no but he will do great we just
gotta get him to church.
Matthew is 12 and progressing real well. He is just kind of shy and
we can't seem to get his family on board. Luckily Matthew stays every
weekend with the Quinteros and so he is always at church and stuff so he
is progressing a lot. we played some 10 commandments uno with him
yesterday he liked it.
And here it is, the news I am sure you have all been waiting for
about Vanessa. Man she just wants to kill me but after the longest most
stressful week I have ever had. She was baptized with her daughter Emma,
Eryn decided that she didn't want to be baptized after all but the
others did. There was literally a problem we faced with her every single
day this week and she showed up to church about 40 minutes before her
baptism but it finally happened. I can't tell you the relief it was to
stand in that font and say those words and baptize that Lady. Monday we
almost lost her to coffee luckily when I was praying I got just this
strong impression to text Vanessa and tell her no Coffee no tea. After a
few seconds I got a response and she said, "That is weird. Did someone
tell you that I woke up super early this morning to go have some coffee
with my Mom?" I replied, "Yes Vanessa, the Holy Ghost. Don't drink
coffee or tea please." Then her son was sick, then she had more doubts
about the church, then her son was sick again and then Sunday morning
she texted us and said that she wasn't coming to church she would have
to wait until next month. So we stopped by and had to persuade her with
the Spirit to come to church. She finally did after playing just a
horrible trick on us at 2 she said she was still in Raymondville and
trying to leave. Turns out she was already in the Parking lot she just
thought she would make us sweat bullets for a few more minutes. Not a
funny joke. But it felt great to finally be through that trial. Elder
Newland and I finally got some sleep last night after a week or so of
next to none.
This week I learned about the importance of Baptism, and how much
God will do to prepare the way for us if we just are willing to see it
and take it. Satan on the other end is a lot less subtle and sucks a
whole lot and tries to destroy everything. However, Our Heavenly Father
loves us way more than we can imagine and he is also more powerful that
Satan and as such always wins, if we cast the right vote. After
receiving countless promptings for Vanessa this week I realized how much
God loved her and how much I needed to be willing to love her and that I
needed to be willing to go to any length to help her out. That is how
life should be always, we need to be willing to go to any length so that
we can fulfill all righteousness. As we show our faith then the
miracles come we learn that in Ether 12:12.
I also learned the love God has for the Elders in my District as I
worked with Elder Zavala who has a pretty serious speech impediment. He
is such a boss and is a much braver than I am. I would invite you all to
make a list of all the times this week God shows his love for you and
for those around you. I love you all and am outta time. Till next week
p.s we also went to the prison
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment