Monday, November 25, 2013

Oct 7th, 2013

Transfer number 8 esta a punto de aparecer entre los hijos de McAllen. We got calls this morning and it looks as though I am going for at least 3 here in good ol' Raymondville. I am receiving a new companion named Elder Newland, he is a greenie that is halfway through training which means I am going to be in charge of the Area. I am super sad to see Elder Lloyd leave we had a great time together but I wouldn't want to keep him here he really wants to leave so it is probably for the best that he does. Really though other than that not a lot has been going down, I will try to make my letter exciting but if it isn't my best work you will have to forgive me.

 

So this last week we had an interesting week. With the loss of out investigators we had to go on the hunt to find some new ones. We did everything in a missionaries arsenal of finding and tried to keep our efforts "Rounded" which I think helped us a lot to stay sane. Weeks of strictly finding are hard on the mind and soul. But we had some interesting finds this week Starting with Norma and John who are polar opposites to what we usually find. They are educated and sophisticated and super old and white. Man what a surprise for us to sit down with someone who was educated that was almost hard to believe. However they are pretty stubborn and shot down our invitation to conference because they believe in the teachings of St. John, whatever that means. So we are going to have to go back and teach the Restoration and hopefully get them with the Spirit.

 

The other couple we met are the uncle and aunt I guess of a member family in the area. Their names are Simon and Yolanda Vasquez. They are Catholics and don't go to church but our church doesn't believe in the saints and so they aren't too sure about it. "God is first of course, we know that. So we pray to him...through the saints. So they can present our prayers to the Father."    -_-" They also can't understand why we don't drink coffee, if they don't have their coffee their heads hurt and they can't see, it is their "drug" in their words. They have potential they just need to understand the importance or reasoning behind it all, especiall the Word of Wisdom and the idea of Saints being idolatry. more on them hopefully soon.

 

SO good news, Vanessa came to church, pues to conference this last weekend just in time to hear president Monson speak which was a huge blessing because that has been the doubt she claims is holding her back, that of a living prophet. She said it made the idea less weird so we will see tonight if she is going to really give it a shot, if not unfortunately we will have to drop her for good. That makes me sad because I love that family but we can't be wasting the Lords time with those who are unwilling to act.

 

So not so good news, as missionaries we have a mileage allotment for the month and if we go over that we get into trouble. For at least the past 6 or 7 months the missionaries here have claimed 2000 miles a month because our area is huge and because we make 4 to 5 trips to Harlingen a week and Harlingen is about 52 miles round trip. So Elder Bassett for the last few months has been doing his best to stay within the alloted 2000 miles and last month just barely made it by with about 1972 miles used. Well, yesterday we get a call from the A.P's, which is never, ever a good thing. They proceeded to tell us that we had gone about 500 miles over our monthly miles and that we had really hurt the mission and that they were going to park the car and so forth. We were super confused when they told us that we have only 1500 miles a month especially because no one has made any mention of us using 1800+ miles for the time I have been here and the time before that. So I guess that we only get 1500 miles a month and not 2000 which is really bad because are area is about 50 miles across and we have to drive 25ish miles to church and to district meeting and for exchanges and for P-Day zone activities and right now, on the 7th we are already at 300+ miles. It would appear that me and my new greenie will be biking a lot. That is not good considering the nearest city that we work outside of Raymondville is over 5 miles away and the farthest is 23 miles to the east of us. Hopefully I at least lose some weight in all of it.

 

I loved conference and learned a ton from it. Like a lot, especially Uchtdorfs shout out to those less-active members of the church. Really it was wonderful and we will be using it a lot on those members here in the area that are offended, or have lost the faith or have just let laziness set in. "Doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith" I want that tatooed acrossed my forehead or something so that everyone can read it and realize how ridiculous they tend to be. To question is normal, questions brought about the first vision and consequently the Restoration. Joseph Smith received the Doctine and Covenants revelations because of questions. However we should never let questions unanswered take away from what we know. God has given us anchors in our testimony and has sealed them all together in a nice package. If Joseph Smith was a prophet, then the Book of mormon is true and vice versa. If those things are true then this in Gods kingdom on the Earth today. If those things are true then we really have the Authority of the Holy Priesthood to carry out the ordinances of salvation and truly the most important thing is that if these things are true, Christ is our savior and loves us just as much as he loved those before us and that he suffered the price of our sins so that we could be free. I love how simple God made it all, it makes our little doubts and fears seem like nothing in comparison. Never let the faith falter, never doubt what you know and never turn your back on the Savior. Really it is just a silly thing to do. I loved conference and hope all of you found revelation just like I did. I know that we have a prophet and that God has given us the restored church of Christ so we can live with him again and it is our duty to share that with others. I love you, God loves you, so share that love with everyone. If every member brought one person to the Gospel we would be 30 million strong. That is amazing, and all it takes is each of us doing our part. Think about that, one person, and you get to partake in the building of Gods kingdom.

 

Elder Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment