Okay, so it is P-day again and I hit the field in eleven days! Can you believe that? The seventeenth I will be flying to Texas, I don't have my travel plans yet so I can't give you a time to expect a call but be ready I will message as soon as I know and get the chance. Oh by the way that means I can call you the seventeenth and probably skype you on the 25th so you guys get a double dose of Elder Bassett calls this month. So I won't lie I am getting a bit nervous for the field, things only get harder out there and that thought kinda scares me. I know the Lord will take care of me if I let him though.
This last Sunday I got called, along with Elder Grant, to serve as the Zone leaders for our zone. I wasn't terribly surprised, not because I am something amazing but because we were really the only option given the other Elders in the District couldn't be the Zone leaders because one of them is a District Leader. Regardless, I am happy to finally be in a position of service. I like being able to care about the others in the zone and it helps me come closer to my savior through serving. We got a new zone yesterday and we haven't quite gotten the chance to talk to them because they don't get a P-day in their first week so they have some strange schedule. Apparently we are getting 2 new districts this next week so a total of what they say is about 16 missionaries, I am guessing all Elders which is fine it just means that things are gonna get a little more packed around here for a while. Luckily for me I will only be here for four days for that until I hit the field. Things here are blowing up missionaries are pouring in faster than they are leaving and at times it makes certain activities less that convinient.
So one of the Elders from the younger district hurt his knee yesterday, he has an MRI today but they know he tore his miniscus and think there may be other damages to his leg. If that is the case he may need surgery and that more than likely means he will be returning home. That saddens me to think because that is truly one of the worst things that could happen to someone, I know. So yesterday Elder Milner, who I won't lie is a bit strange but he loves to hablar su idioma, asked Elder Grant and I to help in administering a blessing. It was a beautiful experience and it made me realize how great some of the Elders I know are, and that at times I can be too quick to judge. Milner has a heart too big for his body and it was humbling for me.
I am personally holding up pretty well sometimes I get stressed but that is normal and good. If i don't stress something is wrong
On tuesday during the Fireside or devotional or whatever it is, the speaker who is part of the executive Missionary board along with Elder Holland and a few others came to speak. During his talk he made reference to a quote given by Elder Holland I dunno how many years ago about salvation and Missionary work. He says "Salvation is not a cheap experience, nor is it easy, nor was it ever easy...I believe that many missionaries and missionary leaders must spend at least a few seconds in Gethsemane." Wow did I feel selfish after hearing that. It made me think about what the price was for our salvation, the Son of God, The Only begotten Son of the Father. He loved each and every one of us so much he let his son come down and die for us. And Christ loved us so much that he would suffer so much that he would cry out abba, or daddy. The most humbling part is that they would have done all of that even if it meant saving just one of us. The worth of souls is great in the sight of God, it's a powerful statement and a very true one. All he wants is for us to grow and learn and become like Christ so that we can return to him and have everything that he has. He wants that for the people of McAllen Texas and he expects me to do everything I can to bring them back to him. It won't be easy and I know that but It'll be worth it.
Yesterday during class Hermano Barton one of our maestros had us do an activity, he asked us to honestly answer the questions. The first being, where is my focus today? I won't lie my focus was not where it needed to be. He went on to ask, Where does the Lord see me in 20 years, then 10 years, then 5 years, then next year. I would encourage you to do this if you get the chance, your patriarchal blessing sheds quite a bit of insight into this but so will the spirit if you will let him. My family I have a lot of work to do and a lot to change if I ever plan on being the Servant the Lord knows I can be. It requires immediate action as you'll see if you do the activity. If you don't that's fine just think on something you need to change or stop or leave behind or start to take one step closer to the person the Lord knows we can be. We are all different, the Lord blessed us with talents and personalities all unique so that we can take and develop them into the best us we can be. Let the Lord make you the best you that you can be it isn't easy, it isn't always comfortable. Trust me, I am trying to let go of my fears, doubts, pride, and all the things that stop my progression and it is work and requires constant effort but like Nephi says in chapter 17 verse 3 of his first book. The Lord will strengthen and Nourish us. That is a promise for all of us, the Lord can make all the difference and he will be with you every step of the way and that I can promise you.
My family I love you with all my heart and will be writing as soon as I can and will be calling in No time. Remember the hand of the Lord in all you do, I will try to find the girls email addresses for next week tell them I really am sorry. I will be in touch.
I love you,
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment