Wednesday, December 19, 2012

December 13, 2012

So it's the 13th, which mean that I will be hitting the heat and humidity of McAllen in 4 days which is nuts to me. I don't know what I am going to do except get pwned out there for the first few like months. I am hoping that I will get to see one of my first district members soon, they don't know I am back and so I wanted to surprise them with that.
So Elder Dykstra, the Elder I talked about last week hurting himself is officially going home. The surgery is going to take him off his feet for at least three months and he doesn't want to waste it here at the MTC recovering. He leaves Saturday because his family is out of town and couldn't come until then. It's a sad thing to see, I don't envy his situation and I just hope he knows the Lord is what he is doing and that he expects him out here as soon as possible.

I hosted yesterday for the first time and we got about 700 missionaries which is nuts, this place is going to be packed to bursting here soon and I don't envy those who have to be here for that, luckily for them they have decided that they can shorten the time here to 6 weeks for foreign language Elders so they get to spend less time here. I can't believe how many misisonaries are coming in to go serve in McAllen, the field is white there and there is a ton to be done. I got an email from President Traynor and it said that our mission wide goals are probably going to be the most ambitious in the whole of the United States. A great work is unfolding down in that small part of Texas and I get to go and be a part of such a great work. Speaking of which I need White pants and a Tie for baptisms I am really sorry I didn't think of this before I feel kind of foolish I won't lie to you. But we are a high baptizing mission and so I don't doubt I will be needing them soon. Anyways, wow got off track from hosting for a second, I hosted one Elder who was going to Columbus Ohio speaking English and he was the only one in his family to serve a mission and is also the youngest and so he was very excited to be here and to be a part of the greatest work on the Earth. The second missionary I helped from her car was a sister, So I only took her from the curb to the building where you get checked in and then had to take her luggage to the outside of the check in building and wait for her and another Hermana to take her to residence because I couldn't take her there. She had so much luggage, six bags...and so here I am lugging six heavy bags by myself and everyone just kept walking by saying, "Good job Elder! Keep it up!" However, none of them found it mete to stop and help, it was quite the workout I won't lie to you. But she was greatful and since she has to go to the Philippines I figured it was the least I could do. I also got to speak to a man named Brother Smoot while waiting to Host and he and I talked for a while about careers and he gave me a checklist for finding a career and before I knew it like half an hour had passed and I had to go, his parting words to me as he pulled his glove off to shake my hands were, "God bless you Elder, I think you are gonna do just fine finding your way in this life, Just follow the plan, it works." He made me feel wonderful and I had to be grateful that he was placed in my path.
Monday, I completed 20 years and On top of the great package I got from you, thank you all by the way. I got a package from Shelby that contained just a bunch of sweet stuff I will try to send some pictures but there were a few ties and some pistachios, Some ruby snap Zoeys! and some candy cane kisses and some little lightsabers and a present I can't open until Christmas and is was just great. 
 Then I got a box of lemonheads from my District accompanied by a card that they had gotten the Whole Zone to sign I was legitimately surprised by this. So they sang to me and we had that cupcake cake thing and it was delicious and we popped some bubbly so all in all it was actually pretty great. I got the card from Uncle Darin and I just had a great day so thank you alll really. The camera is fantastic it is super nice and I am doing all I can to care for it I bought a Micro SD card of 4g for like 8 bucks here so that's what it uses.
My last visit with Donaldo was yesterday, He is 14 and gets baptized on saturday and it was wonderful to teach him. Now, keep in mind this is our female teacher Hermana Lawrence but it was so strange to me that when we really did focus on trying to find Donaldos legitimate needs we forgot who she was and it was like teaching another person. So she showed us a picture of Donaldo because he had been baptized while she was on her mission and it's like we knew him, weird. Now Simon our other investigator is a different story, it has been a very hard thing with him because he wants to be better but his wife is devout in another church and doesn't like Mormons and he doesn't want to split up his family so finally we just delivered him an Ultimatum. Either it's true and he needs to be baptized or it isn't and we would leave him alone and he says he would have a decision for us on Saturday. Here is hoping his faith is sufficient to make the right choice. Matthew 10 talks about putting Christ even before you family and we feel we might need to share that with him but we still aren't sure.
...I taught A Guatemalan couple in the TRC The Molinas and Brother Molina reminds me of my grandpa and I miss him a great deal. This is brother Molinas 9th Mission for the church alongside his wife. The testimony that couple brought us of the Gospel shook me with it's power. It was a beautiful thing, I need papitos and mamitas address so I can write them. I left those sticker things somewhere I am sorry.
Anyhow I am going over my time I will try to call Monday it will probably be between 7 and 8 but I can't promise anything so just plan accordingly I love you all very much keep strong in your faith and remembe the Lord in all you do and remember each other in all your Prayers I love you.
Elder Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment