Monday, June 3, 2013

So, it was memorial day and for that reason I am writing a day late. I hope I can be forgiven for that. I am writing so late well, because I was in McAllen all morning. I got to go to the new District Leader Training this morning because I got called to serve as a DL. Terrified. At least that means my 5th transfer in Mercedes will have a new twist on it. Well 2 new twists, maybe 3. I get a new comp and he may be my Jr. Comp. That, could be interesting. However scared I am, I am truly grateful the Lord is giving me this opportunity to lift and serve my fellow missionaries. I realized more than ever that I get to be a minister among the servants of the Savior and how wonderful is that? I am clear of all that responsibility until next week though so I don't have to freak out quite yet.

This last week we broke our streak of no one at church and it felt great. 2 investigators that I was the most worried about ended up being the 2 that came. The Lopez Family is still struggling but they officially got everything set up for this next Sunday with work and what not and last night we had an awesome experience. We had una Noche de Hogar with Maria and Quetzali which were only 2 of the approximately 15ish people we were expecting but they are truly prepared. We taught about the Restoration and about the apostasy and we watched a movie about Joseph Smith. After that we gave them a church tour and in the prayer, Quetzali, who was extremely skeptical at first thanked God for leading her to the truth and she asked him to help her Husband find his way there as well. What a beautiful thing it was for me to hear. This Gospel really changes people and I can't believe it sometimes.

Anthony, you remember Anthony? The 17 year old we found back in January? Well in our off and on teaching he finally made his way to church this Sunday and liked it. We just now need to be sure that he gets his punk butt there consistently. He is the most interesting teenager I have ever met. However, we are working super hard on helping him get over his laziness. It's a process but we will get there. He wants to serve a mission and so we aren't too worried about him getting baptized. Turns out he isn't moving quite as soon as we thought. We have another month and a half and I can't help but feel the Lord is giving us a chance to make up for all that lost time and miscommunication in the past. More on him soon.

Yari as well came to church. She is a former of Elder Marble and I and going back to visit was kind of awkward, like visiting an ex. She is ready though and I may have mentioned all this and if I have please forgive me of this repeated dribble. She seems to have gotten over her agoraphobia and actually leaves her house now which is awesome because we can sit down with her and stuff. Her husband though, Danny, doesn't seemed too thrilled about that but no men here in the valley ever are. She came to church! We have struggled so hard with Yari and finally she bucked up and just came to church. It was awesome. Now we just have to be sure and solidify her as best we can. We have our work cut out for us.

So this last Monday on the 20th President Trayner came to work with us in the night and holy crap, he is an amazing teacher. Someday I will teach half as good as president Trayner and I will be able to die a happy man. He helped us sit down with and commit to baptism the son of a less active named Chris. He is a good kid and thanks to president we were able to set a BD. Now we just have to get back in contact with him. Thanks to the Valley sickness no one pays their phone bills and so no one has functioning iPhones. He also came with us to a lesson with Maria which is one reason why I feel she has progressed so well. He just bathed us all in the spirit which was super cool. I am kind of bummed that he is going home in a month but I am excited to meet my new Mission President. I am sure he will be amazing.

My Family, this past little while there has been this huge emphasis on member missionary work and helping the members share the Gospel. I want to invite you all to prayerfully think of someone who you can share the Gospel with and I want you to give them something tangible, like a book of mormon, and I want you to extend them an invitation, like to read it or come to church. Will you do it? Good. I love you all so much and hope you all have an amazing week. I will do the same.

Elder Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment