So this is the last week of my second transfer here in the field,
it is super weird because it feels like a long time but at the same time
it feels like no time. Does that make sense? Oh and yes before I forget
I did get the coloring books a while back turns out that all 3 were
exactly the same book just with different covers on them. All the
pictures inside were the same, so I took one of the books and gave it to
a recent converts son for his 3rd birthday then stood there as he took
to destroying the pictures with his crayons. I keep one in my backpack
to entertain small kids in lessons and it has actually come in handy a
few times. As far as white pants probably just size 36 would be fine it
is just the ones that I have are huge. I would probably wait to send the
package though because I may be getting transferred next Tuesday and if
you sent it now it may not get here till after I left and that would be
a pain. I suppose you could send it to the mission home but it may be
easier to wait for the new address, up to you either way is fine with
me. I am super happy to hear that Mamita is doing better and was happy
to have received several more emails this week than I was accustomed.
That is weird that you got into contact with that family Dad, 8 women
would drive me to suicide as well so I guess we both just need to count
our blessings. There were several interesting things that happened to me
this week.
First off I gave my very first blessing ever this last Tuesday I
think it was to Diego, the less active son of a member in our area. He
is confused about what he should do about serving a mission. He is a
rapper, and as far as I can tell his raps are a bit explicit considering
the CD's he sells come coupled with a Parental Advisory sticker. He
isn't sure if he should continue his career or serve the Lord because he
truly feels that he can make it somewhere in the Rap industry and has
actually received an offer from a local studio to record his new music.
We went over and read a chapter with him and then I was asked to be the
voice in a blessing of comfort. Never did I think I would be so nervous
to give a blessing but I was. After managing to give the blessing I felt
great, I just hope it was a help to him because I know he could make a
good missionary. We will be trying to meet with him at least once a week
to have lessons with him and see if we can't get him active again.
Second off, not only did I give my very first blessing in English
this week, I gave my very first blessing in Spanish this week. Not just
any blessing however, it was coupled with the ordinance of Confirmation.
Josue decided that because Elder Ellsworth baptized him and I had
baptized the other 2 that we would switch for the confirmation. I was to
confirm Josue a member of the Church. Yupp, just about died of a heart
attack there, because not only was I to voice the ordinance correctly
but I had to articulate a blessing in front of the whole ward. I was
mortified, but the spirit was there to lend a hand as he always is and I
was able to make it through without embarrassing myself or destroying
the Spanish language. That night because it was Mayra's birthday we went
over and had Carne with her and her family. I truly love that family a
great deal and can't begin to tell you how much they have taught me.
Josue should be receiving the Aaronic priesthood this sunday. I am
overjoyed.
Frank and Kayla both came to church this week and I was so happy to
see them there. They are both progressing so well and are now asking
eagerly about their baptisms. This last week we were to have a Family
Home Evening, but the members that were supposed to accompany us forgot
and so we just had a lesson with them. Tonight we are going to
officially have that F.H.E and we are so very excited to get that final
thing done for them in their progress towards baptism. There isn't a
whole ton to report there, they are just doing really well.
This week I got to learn what it truly means to have to drop
someone, Anthony. Unfortunately he expressed to us that he didn't feel
that he was really ready to act. He told us that although he likes us
coming by he prefers it as more of a "Bible Study" than actual lessons
that are coupled with committments. We tried to help him understand that
these things were necessary if he were to come to a real knowledge of
the truth and he told us that he was just not 100%. We then had to
explain to him that as missionaries our time is precious and that we
would always be around if he were to change his mind but that we just
didn't have the time to Bible study. It was less than pleasant because
Anthony is a good kid but someday he was change his mind.
To answer your questions that I haven't yet it is about 50/50
english to spanish ratio. We teach Mayra and Maria in Spanish for
example while Anthony, Norma, and Frank and Kayla are in English it all
just depends on who and where. That isn't how it is in the whole mission
however, up north it is almost all English while in Laredo it is almost
all Espanish. My Spanish is getting better though at times I feel like
some of the phrases and such here are less than authentic. It is hard
because you can't talk to people in a way that they don't understand and
so we have to talk on the level of the people. The Gospel is new to
them and as such it is hard to understand as it is, how much worse would
it be if we started throwing unfamiliar words at them as well. So,
sorry Mom I can't promise that mi Espanol is going to get muy hermoso.
My camera is super cool by the way I discovered it's functionality this
week and am excited to use it.
This week I just want to invite you all to pray together and to pray individually for eachother. We talked about going back to the basics and this is the very very basic principle of the Gospel. Prayer is something that needs to be heartfelt, be careful of rote repetitions and empty words. Prayer is your chance to communicate with our God, think about that next time you pray and try to believe that he is truly there listening intently and I promise your prayers will change. As you pray for eachother you will become wary of eachothers needs as well as the things you need to change to bring the spirit of unity into the home. I hope you all know that I love you and miss you, that you are in my prayers and that I know you can go and do the things the Lord has asked. Nephi taught us this lesson over and over again in the Book of Mormon. Be strong my family and remember that the Lord is there y El quiere que sepan que los ama.
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment