Hello mi familia, yes Dad the library was closed yesterday and that
is the reason I wasn't able to write. I also have some pictures but I
forgot the camera at the apartment, I don't really like having it on me
because I don't want anything to happen to it. This last week was an
interesting one but some great things have happened. I did get to go to
the outlet mall yesterday, that is like the only reason anyone knows
what Mercedes is and I bought a white Adidas jacket for really cheap and
Elder Guillette told me that it makes me look super Mexican...so yeah.
Anyways, it has been 10 weeks since I got to Mercedes, that is kind
of crazy to think about. I can't believe Tanner got his mission call
and didn't write me a letter...I hope he is learning a language no one
mentioned that to me so I am curious. That right there is an answer to
my prayers, that he stayed strong and decided to go and serve the Lord,
tell him I love him will you? Girls, you need to behave and such. Okay
so, last week there was a 3 day leadership training in McAllen. Elder
Curletti is our District Leader so he went, and Elder Ellsworth is
finishing my training so he went. So guess who got to work both areas
for 3 days...yupp the verdecitos. The worst part was that Elder
Guillette and I can't drive because I guess they don't have my driving
record and he has driving tickets, so we had to bike everywhere. Now, in
my area it is normal I do that everyday but their area covers a lot
more ground so it was like 40 minutes to appointments and such and it
being February of course it had to be super hot. But, we survived,
barely and we did find a house with a professional sized wrestling ring
in the back. The people here can't afford cars or basic living expenses
but they can afford giant wrestling rings...interesting.
Norma is killing me. I want to drop-kick her old pastor but I don't
think Christ would do that so neither can I. He has been hammering down
on her and she hasn't been to church for 2 weeks. What I don't
understand is that she knows God told her to get baptized into our
church and that he told her the church itself was true so I just don't
really know what else to tell her. My words can't be more convincing
than a spiritual witness from God himself. We are working really hard
with her to get her to see that by not coming to church and by
regressing to her old church she is bringing a huge condemnation over
her head, but we have to do it lovingly and that is the hardest part.
More on Norma next week hopefully.
Mayra finally got her interview and now we just have to wait for
President to come down this Saturday to give us the okay, we are cutting
it super close however because Sunday is her baptisimal date and due to
the things in her past she may or may not be okay to go down that day. I
have faith though, I know that she has repented of her sins and that
she is truly trying to come to an understanding of the Gospel and she is
trying to do so much better. Thus far she has stopped smoking, drinking
beer or as the locals call it cerveza, she has given up tea and coffee,
renounced the saints, come to church faithfully, and gotten married so
that she can live the law of Chastity. Mayra is a wonderful expample of
change, that nothing is impossible with the Lord and I know that he is
going to bless her and her family so so much. This Friday we got to have
her very first Family Home Evening which was just awesome. Sister
Martinez agreed to let us have it at her house and she gave the lesson.
It was on Forever families and it was just such a spiritual experience.
The kids even behaved, I was like , " What?" and the spirit was like , "
That's right." Josue even wants to serve a mission. He is concerned
that he may not be able to because he has had a few "problems" with
girls but we told him all is possible through repentance and so he is
good again. This family has taught me so many things I wish I could
number them all to you but I have such a strong testimony of this gospel
and it's power to bless and change and refine and teach.
Frank and Kayla have marriage dates and they are officially gonna get married the 22nd of March and baptized the 24th. That is two marriages the Lord has helped us get in Mercedes. There are missionaries that never get to see a couple actually agree to marriage so we have been blessed tremendously. Frank is softening up it is super funny to see him go from big scary angry Frank to the Frank we have now. The only issue we have is getting work off on Sunday. He needs to come to church and so we are working super hard to pray and help him get it off. The good news is, they want to bring other people to our lessons, including Franks mom who is super skeptical and fiesty apparently so he has warned us about her. We should be meeting her tonight. Kayla already considers herself a Mormon so it goes without saying that she is doing well.
Anthony, may be the coolest kid I have met since being here. He is
just super interesting to teach. Problem is that he has cancelled the
last two lessons, however he actually called us to tell us which no one
else does and it is a good sign that he hasn't succumb to the valley
sickness and it's treachery. We are trying to get the chance to really
teach his whole family but he doesn't seem comfortable with that and
that may be in part to the fact that his mother is super Christian and a
bit strange. But, she is a daughter of God and needs the truth just
like him.
This Sunday we had stake conference, you know that day that you have a meeting but it is really just a day off from church? Yeah, wrong. It was so great, even though I had to sit through it twice I learned a ton and the talks were powerful. Richard G. Scott talked about the sanctity of womanhood and how Priesthood holders should always remind the women in their lives of the importance of truly charishing the divinity of womanhood. Girls, I love you a lot. I just want you to know I worry about you and think about you a lot. I can't help it being in the valley where no one respects women. Girls here are pregnant at 12 and it makes me sad and I am just going to beg you right now to take care of yourselves. Never, ever, ever let anyone demean you or take advantage of you. You are the literal Daughters of God and as Elder Scott put it, "His Supreme creation. It wasn't until woman was created that the work was pronounced finished and good"
This weeks challenge is to have a Family Home evening. The mission
is putting an emphasis on going back to the basics. I got to witness the
power of the spirit in a Family Home Evening this last week and it was a
new experience for me. I promise you all, everyone that if you can
manage a F.H.E once a week you will see the spirit in your homes. I know
that some of you are in school away from your families, but do it
anyway. With folks from your wards and stuff, just do it. That is really
all the time I have this week and I hope you all know I love and miss
you.
Con Carino,
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment