So happy Labor day to all, this week I get to email Tuesday
because no libraries were open. Things here are going well there hasn't
been a ton of special progress as far as our investigators but I will
give some information on that. Elder Lloyd and I are doing great still
and he and I have some high hopes for the area this transfer and have
actually decided to shift our focus just a bit from finding and
baptizing.
But first, Vanessa and her daughters did not come to church
and as a result we will have to move their baptismal date to later in
the month, that is definitely not ideal but you do what you gotta do
right?
George didn't come to church either because of work. That has been
the biggest struggle with him since the first time the Elders came by.
That he is a single parent trying to provide for the 6 of his kids that
live with him at home. He is a hard working man but his job doesn't
quite provide a lavish lifestyle and it forces him to work
on Sunday
but we have promised him that if he keeps the Sabbath Holy and comes to
church that the Lord will take care of him and he has committed to talk
to his employer about Sundays.
El Hermanito Joe Angel doesn't have permission from his
grandmother to be baptized which makes things hard for us because she is
his guardian. I feel as though a testimony from him is going to soften
her heart and so we are going to be sure we help him to develop one. He
is a great kid and he has a great desire he just needs to have some
support from his family.
So Elder Lloyd and I were praying the other day and it seems
that we both feel as though our focus has been a bit misplaced and that
we need to focus on the branch here and getting it back open. We
realized that this area will be one of the strongest in the Mission if
we can just get the people active in their church again and can get this
little branch running again. Before I got transferred I asked God if he
would send me to a place I could be more effective. Lots of members, my
own ward, a church building close by where I could give church tours
and bring investigators for lessons and for
sunday
meetings and so you can imagine my disappointment when I heard about
the state Raymondville was in. I will be honest in saying that I was a
bit discouraged and that for maybe that reason I didn't give the Lord
the gratitude I should have. However, just like everything else in our
lives worth having the Lord expects us to work for it. Raymondville is
exactly what I want in an area but I won't be able to receive it until,
"After the trial of my faith". The Lord wants me to have these things
but he wants them to be important to me and he is expecting a show of my
faith and a show of how hard I am willing to work to have those things.
I realize fully as well that just like Moses that great prophet of old I
may not get to step foot in the Promised land and that I may just get
to see it from a distance before I depart from this place. Either way I
have come to the conclusion that I need to help the area reach it's full
potential. As of right now we would need 12 active, tithe paying,
melchizidek Priesthood holders and we have currently 6. There are 8
inactive members in our area that have the priesthood and there are
about 4 that don't have it that could work and get it very soon. I know
that the Lord needs us to work to bring his church back to this little
place and that once it does, the work will skyrocket.
On an exciting note, this lady that lives next door to the
church waved us down the other day and told us that there are people
going in and out of the Branch building at all hours of the night and
that they bring stuff and take stuff and meet with other people and
stuff and it all sounds pretty shady. Elder Lloyd and I have donned our
detective caps and have set a few little traps to see if people really
are going in and out and so we may be involved in what could be the
greatest case of all time and we are going to solve it Sherlocke Holmes
style. On the other hand the woman next door may just be a little off
her rocker, either way, it is super exciting and if all goes well we
will be heroes and receive a key to the city and they may write a novel
about us someday or maybe make a film depicting the true events.Worst
case scenario we don't find anything and still ended up having some fun
doing some detective work. Unfortunately for us, we have a bedtime so we
don't get to do any late night snooping but you bet we would be if it
were possible without being apostates.
We may also start a class on being member missionaries. More on that as it develops.
Anyway
this week my challenge for all of you is to start reading from the New
Testament. Simple but very important. There we find the life of our
savior and all that he did for us and we read about the way his apostles
shaped the history of the world and laid the foundation for the
restoration of the Gospel.
Les Quiero
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment