Monday, September 23, 2013

September 16th, 2013

Hola mis queridos,

 

This last week has been pretty interesting for us here in South Texas. Apparently some huge Butterfly hatching/migration takes place around this time of year because on Thursday there were just tens of thousands of Butterflies everywhere and it was just an amazing sight to see. I know that is random but it was incredible, nunca he visto algo asi en mi vida. Also it has been raining like mad here on our end. We have had pouring rain on and off for the past 2 weeks or so and it has become a muddy ordeal. Apparently there may be a storm hitting us soon which could be interesting. I hope that opens up a lot of doors to our service because the people here can be pretty hard at times. On top of it all, Elder Lloyd managed to catch some sickness which I was able to avoid for about 4 or so days and then I woke up this morning and to my dismay I am a bit stuffy and such now. That is very unpleasant especially at the start of a P-Day. We are supposed to play ping pong today.

 

So last week we went to Brownsville with a Member to go to a bodega and to go tie digging. We bought 5 pounds of ties for 5 dollars and out of the 50 or so ties we got we found about 5 that were of pretty good worth and that are pretty nice and we made a purchase for 5 dollars of ties that easily equal a value of 200 plus dollars. It was fun and that is one of the great things about the south of Texas. We also had delicious tacos, but that is almost a daily ordeal down here. We also had an Enchilada Party which was a lot like our Alfredo Party which was a blast! I will send Pictures

 

This week was rough on the District, I am not sure what happened but things didn't go too terribly well for some of mis ovejas. I am going to go ahead and spend a bit of time with the Other Elders this week and see what I can't do to pump them up. As a leader I have learned the importance of really giving all you can to those under your stewardship. If anyone goes unattended chaos follows and it really falls back on the leader.We did see some pretty great miracles though, one family the other Elders met and havent even taught that came to church. That is huge because it shows real intent and desires to find the truth. It is a family of 7 and they seem like a great family and I was excited to see the Lord bless us so greatly. The Lord is trying to teach me a lot and I have been doing my best to do all required of me but I feel as though there is a lot more I can do and so I am going to kick it into high gear and go serve mis queridos Elderes.

 

Elder Lloyd and I were invited to a funeral of one of the members in our area. That of JJ Reyna, who I never got the chance to meet. He was a great man by the sounds of things and he touched many a life with his genuine care for those around him. It really caused me to reflect on the kind of legacy I want to leave and the importance of using every second of our lives for good. We always have the chance to change a life, we just always have to be willing to do it. The Spirit took its chance to teach me a great deal of things about the power of our decisions and our dealings with others, and how our example says a lot of who we are.

 

As for Little Joe Angel he wasn't able to be baptized his abuela doesn't believe he is old enough or mature enough to make that decision for himself. It saddens me a great deal because he has great desires to be baptized and he understands and remembers everything we teach him. He is at church 90% percent of the time and he definitely understands more than I did when I was baptized so we are going to keep praying for him and talking with Grandma to see if we can't ablandar su corazon.

 

Vanessa and her family have been pretty much M.I.A. this week and that has made it hard. Their fire is dying and we don't want that at all. She and her kids are great and are this close to joining Christ's church and being recepients of one of the greatest gifts ever, The Holy Ghost. We are going to go and do our best to help them continue to pray and progress, we are planning on going over to visit Tuesday and dropping a spirit bomb on her and the family to remind them of the importance of this decision. A lot rests on it and we would hate to see them lose those bendiciones.

 

We really only found one solid investigator this week, her name is Tiffany and she is a young woman who is a friend of a less active member of the church. She has a lot of potential but the girls have been involved in some illegal drug use and that would be the only thing that holds this girl back from being adopted into the church of Christ. Last night we had a great opportunity to speak with her Friend Alma, the less active, and us the spirit to persuade her to get rid of her "Stash". It was a good sized stash by the looks of it but we won't have to worry about it anymore. Thank goodness. Yesterday getting her to church was the hardest thing ever because all of our members leave for church about an hour and a half to two hours early and the church is 30 minutes away so we had to call a member from a place near the church to come help us out and the poor sister got lost. Luckily Heavenly Father always helps those in need and was able to get them to church, even if it was an hour late.

 

As far as reopening the branch is concerned we are still working on it. The Stake President is really who we are waiting on. More on that as we hear more.

 

This week I have been thinking about how important it is that we as members of the church constantly strive to reach out to those around us and to serve them. Service opens lots of doors especially in regards to the Gospel. I would Invite you all to spend this week and try to live the scout motto and, "Do a good turn daily" Share your testimony of the Savior with your actions. Not your words. The power of Members in the missionary work is profound and it is necessary so I would pray that we all are constantly doing are best to "Abound in good works" I know that as we do that hearts will be softened and lives can be changed. I love you all and hope to hear from you soon.


Elder Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment