Okay so this week is going to be a bit crazy for me and I will tell
you all why. So I knew for a fact that I was going to be a DL, Elder
Ellsworth was dying so that meant that I was getting a new companion.
Well, come Thursday evening during coordination we get transfer news and
lo and behold I am giving birth. They are giving me a greenie and
president made it a point to keep it a secret even though you usually go
to new trainer training at the same time as District Leader Training. I
don't know what I am going to do, I feel as though I have no idea how
to be a missionary and now they are giving me an hijo. That's kind of a
huge deal because your trainer kind of lays the groundwork for your
whole mission...I don't know who he is or how his spanish is or his name
or if he is a visa waiter or not. Ojala que no es un visa waiter
because that could mean 6 in Mercedes. Pray for me.
Other than that this week has been pretty good, Sunday was a good
day for us because Maria Lopez finally freaking came to church and she
loved it. Her and Quetzali came and it was a relief I gotta say. I think
a huge part of it was the fact that we had an FHE/Church tour at the
chapel last Monday and taught about the Restoration again because we
felt the understanding of it and it's importance was a little weak. In
her prayer Quetzali thanked Heavenly Father for guiding her to the truth
and it was such a powerful statement the spirit just bathed the room it
was awesome. She is still a bit iffy on Baptism but we will just have
to drop another Goku style spirit bomb on her and change that. Maria is
all good, she has decided that she wants her whole family to join her in
God's church and that means that she is going to be great for
referrals. Which is good because our President just announced no more
door knocking which means more member work. Problem is, with the
exception of like 2 families all of our members are recent converts,
which means they are like infants in the Gospel but this will give them
the opportunity to find joy in missionary work. We are super stoked.
Juan Arriaga our friendly neighborhood permagator told us we could
baptize him Tuesday morning before Elder Ellsworth leaves. If he had
been coming to church regularly I would say, "Plug the tub and Fill'er
up!" But he hasn't so we can't. However the time is nigh and if we can
get Juan to go down Mercedes will end up being taken like the city of
Enoch. Then they will have to move me.
So, this last week we had a few really powerful experiences that
caused me to reflect a lot on the Gospel and families and what is
required of each and every one of us. There is a sister in the area,
Sister Martinez who has been very inactive due to her mother who has
been in constant care and is bed-ridden and just very ill. This has been
the case since before I got here to Mercedes so at least 6 months. Well
we received a call the other day to go and give this sister Maria
Carmen De la luna Martinez Gabriel a priesthood blessing because she was
in immense pain. We did as we were asked but I couldn't deny the
feeling the spirit gave me that this sister was soon to go.
A few days passed and we received a prompting to go to the house
and so we did. On the way to the door, Alex the grandson came out and
talked with us for a while about the situation. Carmen was no longer
responsive and was basically just in a coma. The family had gathered and
they invited us in. They asked us to sing a hymn for their Mother and
Grandmother, one of las pioneras de Mercedes so they called her. As we
sang they asked us to sing another hymn, then another, soon we had the
family or at least part of it gathered together, joining us in singing
this sisters favorite hymns. When the time came for us to move onto our
next appointment the spirit had surrounded us and I could feel the love
of God.
Last night we had the priviledge as the missionaries to sing at the
memorial service of this Sister. She was prepared for her passing and
had her service all planned. It caused me to think about the plan God
has for us and what it is we must do to return to our Heavenly Father.
Through the words of his son Jesus Christ he has laid it out very
clearly for us. We must have faith, repent, be baptized, receive the
holy ghost and then endure to the end. If we don't do these things we
can't return to our Heavenly Father or be with our families. Alex, the
grandson caused much of this thinking because he is admittedly not
living the Gospel. If we don't do these things the outcome is simple. We
forfeit our place in the Celestial Kingdom with God and our loved ones.
This week I just want you to think about that. Think about what you
would give up to be with your family forever. What things still need to
be given up if we want those blessings. I will repeat with the same
admonition the words of Alma the prophet in saying not to procrastinate
the day of your repentance. The Gospel is true, the blessings that come
as well as the consequences. This I leave with you in the name of Jesus
Christ, even the holy one of Israel. Amen
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment