Monday, July 8, 2013

July 8, 2013

This week has been a pretty interesting one for us here in Mercedes. With Transfers a week away I am way excited we were able to have a baptism with the Niece of one of our Recent Converts. It all kinda just happened really unexpectedly. We just sat with her a few weeks back and asked if she wanted to be baptized and she said, "Sure" and we worked with her and worked with her and then had to make her feel not pressured into baptism and stuff but it all went really good. (See Picture for family) As for us we didn't have a lot of time to work this week because Monday was P-Day, Tuesday we spent a long time at the Doctor for Elder Casteel, Wednesday we had an Exchange so I worked somewhere not in my area, Thursday we were in McAllen until 7 pm for a surprise zone conference with the new president Maluenda and his Wife and we all had interviews and such with him. He is awesome, Chilean, and only really speaks Spanish so that is going to be great for a lot of the missionaries. He talked a lot to us about having faith and how we needed to, "Disfrutar nuestras misiones, no debemos sufrirlas. Hay momentos dulces y tambien amargos pero solo necesitamos aprender como amar los momentos amargos y dificiles." I can't tell you how many times he said that, just like a Hispanic person he repeated himself a lot but I think it was great because it gave the spirit a lot of time to teach me. In the mission there is a word I don't really like but it is what the missionaries use to describe a harsh correcting either by other people or the spirit, lo que sea. But the word is "Jack" and I have to say the spirit Jacked me a lot this last week, really these last few weeks. It isn't as bad as it sounds because the Lord tells us those whom he loves he corrects. Just like when he rebukes his best friend Peter and calls him Satan. Christ and his spirit do a lot of correcting and we just have to be ready and willing to change those things.
 
My son Elder Casteel is doing really well, his Spanish is improving which it needs to do a lot and so is mine, it also needs a lot of work. I have a hard time learning real Spanish from the people and I have a hard time studying Spanish because I get distracted but it is coming along things are moving I feel less stupid now when I talk to people. Sometimes I feel stupid still but that is to be expected. What I hate is when I am trying to find a word so I ask a "Native" and I get a response like, Lockear. To lock. I don't really know but I really don't think Lockear is a word so that is where I get a little lost in my Spanish Learning.
 
So, this last Sunday, yesterday I got to see something super cool. I told one of my converts that this may be my last fast sunday there at the ward with her family and I guilted her into bearing her testimony. It was awesome and I don't feel like I used unrighteous dominion or anything. When she got up so did her daughter and I was beaming because I got to hear them both bear their testimonies. That is the one plus to being in an area so long, you get to see so much progress in lives of those you teach, it is amazing and humbling. Makes me want to be better, that and the fact that the Spirit has begun to correct me like 10 times a day.
 
So this last week we received a commitment to show the new church website to Boss member families and invite them to really make plans to share the Gospel with other people like in the I'll go where you want me to go video which you should all watch. That really is my invitation, of all the things I could ask of those of you who read this blog the most important thing is that you are trying to share the Gospel. The site will help you learn how and will help you develop the faith necessary to do it. I don't get to follow up with you all, all 6 of you or however many read this but I really hope you have taken some of these challenges and carried them out. Commitments are extended to help us repent and be better and I promise that as you do these things you will be blessed.
 
I love you all very much,
Elder Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment