So you guys will never guess what transfer news I have......Are you
ready??? I am....staying in Mercedes......with Elder Ellsworth for our
3rd transfer together. He dies this transfer though (Goes Home) which
means I am almost guaranteed a 5th transfer here in Mercedes so I am
going to be here a while. I may die here but there is some good stuff
going on right now and I love Elder Ellsworth so things shouldn't be too
bad. My fear is that my new companion is going to be a greenie, my
greenie and that I will have to train.....Ojala k no. Like I said though
things are going pretty well, let's just hope that I can stretch my
ideas for another eternity. That means a bike through July also which is
going to be pretty rough. I am done complaining though I really do love
being a missionary even though it is by far the hardest thing I have
ever done. So yeah I am here feel free to send those planner covers and
that Shirt if you want, by the way that is seriously the coolest shirt I
have ever seen Dad so feel free to send it. I have also asked the girls
for some favors next time a package is sent so if you want to just send
the covers plain mail it's no biggie just remind the girls of what I
asked next time a package is sent.
Okay enough of that noise, down to the good stuff. First off, Maria
Guerrero, let me just start off by saying that Satan is a jerkface.
Because of him and because of coffee we have had a difficult time
helping Maria make the covenant of baptism. We are going to visit
tonight and are going to take and destroy all her coffee tonight so we
shouldn't have many more problems there. She is a great lady with a good
heart and desires and so we aren't so worried about the "if" so much as
the "when". She is currently having some family struggles and as a
result has increased desires to follow the Savior. More on her soon.
Felipe and Beatriz have told us that before they will set a BD they
want to know how church is in English. They have attended church 4
times but because of their own inability to get up on time they have
only come to the Spanish ward and so have yet to fijar una fecha
bautismal. We will get them soon though, they love us and were relieved
when transfer news came in. This last week we had our chicken plate sale
which was a blast. Pictures will be attached and just so you all know
that apron I am wearing fell out of my bag as we were biking not 5
minutes after we left their home and it is lost, the wind took it who
knows where and I am super bummed about it. It was a Texas McAllen
Mission apron and I was actually going to mail it home today but I
wanted to wear it for the cooking and cleaning and selling of the
chicken. Big mistake. But we sold about 50 something plates. Our goal
was 80 and so we were a little short but they are just that much closer
to reaching their marriage goal. We are super excited for them. And the
chicken was delicious.
Juan moved into a different area but is still adamant about us
teaching him so we are going to need special permission from the
President to poach. We are hoping that now because we are teaching him
and his family and their inlaws that we can help them all move towards
the step of joining the Church. He gave us tacos yesterday, they were
delicios but more on him in following weeks.
This week was interesting we have had a lot of success finding and
up until yesterday we had 9 BD's set for the Month of May, now last
night one of our investigators dropped us but all is well we just have
had struggles with people not being at return appointments and that has
made it hard to really solidify these investigators. One family we
received as a refferal has a head of the household named Mario and I
have to be honest I have never met a person more bent on poking holes in
our religion and failing than that man. He tried to tell us he knew we
worshipped Jose Smith and that we didn't believe in the 12 commandments
and that Jesus Christ was the only prophet, that Moses didn't give
any commandments and all sorts of whimsical nonsense. We finally shot
down all his crazy accusations and he told us that we could come by next
Saturday but that if we do we had better bring an explanation for the
666 prophesy in the Bible....so we will see how that goes.
Really though none of our current investigators are super duper
solid yet and so I am going to hold off on mentioning them in
E-mails. Anthony that 17 year old from a while back is investigating
again and has started helping us teach our English class on Thursdays,
he doesn't speak Spanish so he is learning a lot himself. Our Recent
Converts are doing well Frank will receive the Priesthood this Sunday
and Mayra is turning into an "Hermana" and she can't believe
it...neither can I. This work is full of miracles.
Before I go I wanted to share a quick story that happened to me
this week. Last Sunday I think I was biking and I went off a curb and
flipped my bike, I am fine don't worry. But a ton fell out of my bag.
After picking it all up I drove off. Well, a few days later I realize
that my tiny spanish Hymnbook that the Newby family gave me was missing.
I had no idea where it was but I prayed to my Heavenly Father and told
him that I know it is just a tiny Hymnbook but that it was a gift and
that it meant a lot to me so I asked him to help me find it. Then I
remembered eating it on my bike and realized that we weren't going to
that side of Mercedes for a few days and just prayed it would be
there...it was. It was in the box I had made to protect it and the box
was pwned. Rain and sun and sprinklers and mud. But, the book was just
fine, not a single problem it was awesome. God answers prayers. Even
ones about Hymnbooks and I hope you know I have a firm testimony of
that.
My loved ones I hope you know I am happy to hear all is going well
at home, Janessa you looked beautiful...I don't like it. I am pleased to
see the distance between you both in the pictures though that looks
like a Bibles distance or so. Tell Papito he needs to move in and Mamita
to stop being stubborn. Pray that her heart will be softened. I don't
want things to be lax surrounding my commitments because I know that
these things will bless you. I want you all to read in the book of third
Nephi about the saviors personal ministry to the Nephites. It is like
15 chapters. It starts in Chap 11. I don't want excuses please read it
together if you want that would be awesome. Write down what you learn in
a study journal. Also, I love you all a lot and miss you. My address is
the same so don't sweat it. I will talk with you soon.
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment