Alright it has officially been three
weeks here at the MTC! Things are going well here I'm kind of getting used to
the food, it has stopped destroying my body, maybe It's just my body saying it
has given up. so this morning Elderes Vosters y Woodford went to the MTC in
Spain for the next six weeks. I was surprised at how hard it was to say goodbye
to them after only three weeks. They truly did become like my brothers and it
happened in such a short time. Woodford traded us all ties of his and we are
all wearing them as we speak in his honor. The one I got is pretty sweet it is
pink and white and black and I must say I traded up for it. So TRC Training
Resource Center happened for the first time this week and I was terrified to
have to talk to native speakers in Spanish. Turns out it was awesome, not a ton
of volunteers showed up because this week is Finals but the people I did get to
talk to were another Elder in our Zone who was upset afterwards because I know
more Spanish than him and he has been here about twice as long as me, I told
him not to worry I had a solid base, so thank you family for being Venezuelan.
The next kid I talked to was an RM who served in Washington D.C. amongst the El
Salvadorians so he talked like one but he loved talking to my companion and I
even though we aren't great at the language. Elder Holley is improving we
still have a lot of work to do but we are definitely taking strides as far as
the Spanish is concerned as well as with everything else. Sunday we had my
first district council and I got to represent my district as we went over each
Elder and spoke of any troubles they may be having. Girlfriends came up a lot
with the entire zone and I realized that I had some problems with that in my
district. So, during the meeting I conduct with my District we set a goal
to try to keep ourselves less distracted from things outside the mission, pre
mission, during mission, and especially post mission. Some of the things we
need to work on as a District are, singing less Fergalicious and other assorted
songs that don''t invite the spirit, quoting movies that don't invite the
spirit, and pining for things we have left behind. I haven''t gotten the chance
to sit with Elder Holley to talk about the talking bear and all the pictures of
Jessie his girlfriend so I am not sure how that is going to go, hopefully he
will see my point. The Hermanas have gotten a little better at treating me with
respect and not like they are superior to me because of age but we still butt
heads at times when i suggest something they don't like. For example, not
hitting on Elders at dinner or making dirty jokes. I have been surprised that
the Hermanas have been the ones most guilty of that. Except Hermana Ready, she
barely speaks and when she does its usually due to anger because we pulled a
joke like hide the mail that she doesn't like. I am also more and more surprised
at how hardcore some people take four square in gym. Missionaries take their
four square seriously. Our room still smells horribly, that is another thing we
need to address because we found the cause, and it''s one of the elders closet,
I don't think its necessary to use a name but we will need to have the hygiene
talk which probably wont be recieved too well. Sorry that this email is all
over things are coming to me out of order and I am just writing it all down.
Elder Paulsen has some confidence issues I think and we have been doing our
best to help build him up. Apparently he had written home and told his family
he had been getting picked on so as a District we have cut back on the hassling
him. Sometimes I forget that not everyone had friends who liked to give grief
like mine did. So during my District leader interviews I got the chance to sit
with him and apologize for any problems we may have caused him and also let him
know that he can tell us if anything else should arise. We love him and would
hate to make his stay here any harder than it already is. Today I will be part
of the biggest Earthquake drill in history Whooo!
Elder Ballard came to speak with us
this past Sunday and it was amazing! He spoke to us about the importance of
having the spirit when we teach and we got to hear about how preach my gospel
was developed! We are so blessed here to have at our disposal latter day Modern
revelation. I was reminded how sensitive we must be to the spirit to receive
guidance from our Heavenly Father. We plan to apply what we learned to our
investigators Anderson y Gabriel. They have been slightly more difficult to
teach because they love asking questions because they are RM''s and know what
to ask to throw us off kilter. One of them even rejected us as we went to teach
him in his ""home'', he opened the door and turned us away because he
had to go to ''work''. Valuable experience indeed, I was surprised and even
though it was just our teacher it was hard to accept no for an answer so we
left him a pamphlet and came back to class. Since then the lessons have gone
well, we have committed one to baptism and one of them isnt convinced of the
Priesthood power yet he feels its too fantastic to be real. We have been using
the ZRT or zone resource teachers to help us practice doctrine as well as the
language and I believe that will help a lot. We also have been focusing during
study more which is super hard.
I love you all so much I'm out of
time I will write you again
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment