Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Week One - MTC

4/3/12  
Hola everyone!!
 Tuesday is my P-day and so I will be doing my emails then. This week has been pretty insane, there is no wade into the MTC, they throw you headfirst into the whole experience. The second they dropped me off i got dragged through the MTC where they processed all of us and gave us our MTC badges as well and our MTC money card things. My companion is named Elder Holley and he is a good guy, he is a bit slow when it comes to waking up and so we will definitely be working on that because punctuality is a must here otherwise you get lost. Because I never received the call about language evaluation I got placed in the Basic spanish class so thusfar all the things have been review. There has been talk of moving me up but I'm not sure if I want that because I've grown to love the people in my district. There are nine of us total, six Elders and tres Hermanas and all of us but two our going to McAllen Texas. The other two Elders, Woodford and Vosters are going to spain. The food here is good but it does not do nice things to your body, and so things have been interesting to say the least. Class time is good at first the hours you spend in your class seemed to crawl by but things have begun to pick up and as a result time flies. There is a huge emphasis on teaching using the spirit and those of us learning a new language get to learn that lesson the most quickly because when teaching an investigator in a language you dont know you hope with all your heart that the spirit will help bring words to you. Our third day was the day we received what is called a progressing investigator and we had to teach the whole half hour lesson in spanish! it went really well actually but i ended up doing almost all the talking because Holley doesnt know a lick of Spanish. The investigator is named Abel y el es de Peru donde fue un taxista de moto. He and his family moved here and he has been since driving a moving van and boxing for fun. His sister is Evangelist and His mother is Catholic but he feels like there is something missing so thats where we come in!! We got him to read the Book of Mormon and taught him to pray and will be teaching him again tomorrow. Conference was amazing even though all 1800 of us were thrown together into a gym sitting in the worst seats in the universe where we all sat for 12 hours and smelled. Missionaries smell in large masses, i can testify to this. The messages though were fantastic and we missionaries got ourselves a few shout outs which made us all happy. I wasn't able to make it into the Choir because we got here too late even though Elder Archuleta got to participate (he got here the same day). But i try not to be bitter because those feelings drive the spirit and because he just like all of us is here to serve his Lord which i respect a great deal.
 The experience so far is not at all what I expected, the rules while strict help us all to better maintain the spirit and mentality we need to become used to having. The tie rules and suit rules are not really inforced because no one cares. We just need to have suits and ties doesnt matter what they look like, one kid has a tie made out of wood and it was frankly impressive.I will write more as more interesting things happen to me here, so far I have just been falling into the routing and its taken some adjusting having a guy follow you to the bathroom and such. Also, I miss my first name but I think that will pass. And having sisters surprised me but we are so blessed to have them, even though they can be a bit obnoxious they bring a special spirit.
 
Guys the church is true and i Know it otherwise i wouldnt be here, the book of mormon changes live and Jose smith fue un profeta de nuestro padre celestial. I wish i had more time to share everything with you but time is short. Just know that when the time comes your testimony will separate you from the rest of the world and you can be counted among the few and the proud. Remember the Lord in all thy doings and love eachother always. Families are the most beautiful gifts one has been given and I hope you always remember that. I miss you all and will talk with you soon
 
-Elder Bassett
 
P.S. so my roomates six year old cousin wrote him...where are my letters hermanas? Emma newby wrote me, so step it up. Also remember to put this on the blog you can copy and paste all the personal family stuff out if you want! Love you if you see the guys tell them I love them too!! Adios compatamos

No comments:

Post a Comment