Okay so first off, Happy Thanksgiving. I didn't say
anything last week about it because I had forgotten all about the
holiday I will be straight honest. As a missionary holidays are just
normal days just less people want to be bothered by you so the members
take you and stuff lots of food down your throat. In case you were
wondering, we ate a total of four times. We had 5 appointments but by
the 5th one we just couldn't handle it anymore and we had to turn down
the food, which they ended up just sending us home with anyway. However
we couldn't get out of eating the pie which just about ended my life. 4
huge meals, like huge, like imagine a normal Thanksgiving meal and then
imagine it is a Hispanic person serving you and then on top of that they
think that the more you eat as a missionary the more blessings they
receive. Just for future reference, blessings don't work that way there
is not a correlation between quantity of food in missionaries and the
amount of things heaven blesses you with. Other than that it was a
pretty good day, only that the whole zone got sick and they blame me for
it because I was the first one down. I don't feel too bad for it though
they all have cars and stuff. Only problem has been that with sick
missionaries comes the need to babysit them while they nap. At first I
was like, "Oh sweet I can actually just sit down and relax for a while
because Elder Tew is going to nap. I love that idea." That excitement
lasted through like 2 or 3 chapters in Alma and then I realized that I
hated it. Sitting around is like what every missionary says they want
until it actually happens then you find yourself staring at the clock
like you did when you were in High school and realize time doesn't like
to move when you want it to. However I think we are all over the
sickness thing and so Christmas should be a sick free holiday which is
good because Christmas is a great Missionary holiday because everyone is
thinking of Christ at least a little bit and you can make them realize
how important he is.
Other than Thanksgiving not a whole ton has been happening
here for us we have been working really hard on finding but it isn't
coming and I think the reason we aren't finding is because our
companionship has lost sight of the little things. I notice that
sometimes, unfortunately more often than not certain members of the
district and stuff are getting up at like 6:35
or sometimes even 7 and those little things cost the district. I was
reading in the Old Testament and there is a story in Joshua after Israel
has gone and destroyed the City of Jericho and they are all hyped and
pumped and ready to go get their land and they go to the next city, this
little city of Ai and they just get worked by these people. Now Joshua
is pretty distraught and goes before the Lord and asks him what was
going on. He received a promise from the Lord that the children of
Israel would go unopposed in claiming there land. Well the Lord had told
Israel that none of them were to take spoil from Jericho or else they'd
be punished and after an investigation Joshua finds that only one man
had broken the rule. He had taken a Babylonian garment and some gold and
hid them in his tent. Because of this one guy and his disobedience all
of Israel was punished and I realized that sometimes the Lord makes the
innocent suffer the consequences of the actions of others. When a
missionary is disobedient everyone feels it. The same goes for our
families and such, we are all in this together and so we all go down
together. I came to the conclusion that that has been happening in this
district because a few of the Elders aren't quite consecrated enough and
tend to be a bit disobedient and it is killing us so that has been one
of our focuses. It is hard to break a missionary of his habits and so
sometimes there is some butted heads but they are just going to have to
get over that because I am here to have success.As this Holiday season approaches or I guess Christmas I want a birthday/christmas gift from all of you. It is very simple. Well I guess they are cause I want 2. First I want all of you to find someone to reach out and minister to. I want them to feel the Love of Christ through you. Second, I want to hear about it. I am going to be selfish and request it in the form of a written letter. If I don't receive a letter from you I will do what I do with investigators who don't keep committments and drop you for a while and then we will see from there what goes on. No I won't drop you but I would like letters and such. If necessary an email will suffice but just remember it's my birthday and stuff. I love you all very much. Make this a holiday season to remember. Door bell ditch someone and leave them a basket of things they need or surprise someone with a lunch trip or something. Be charitable, learn to give and learn what it means to truly be Christlike, that is my prayer in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment