Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Jan 7, 2013


So I actually get to write you on a Monday, weird. This last week here was freezing cold. Weird I know, luckily I kept my big jacket that I almost sent home, problem was I had no gloves. Won't lie, riding the bike through the humid cold without gloves was a bit difficult at times but the Lord always extends his tender mercies and one of our investigators lent me a pair, I will be buying a cheap pair today. But it was about 40 or below this last week and I know it doesn't sound too cold but with the humidity the cold just penetrates and pwns you. Plus it rained and got muddy and so I had to put the back fender on my bike because the first night out I got soaked all up my back. But it is warm again and I am alive.

We had interviews with president Trayner this week and at first I was worried about them, mostly because most interviews in the past have been like worthiness and advancement interviews where they ask you all sorts of questions but this one was different. In the TMM (Texas McAllen Mission) There is a huge focus on becoming what they call the fourth missionary. I would invite you all to read the talk called the fourth missionary and see what exactly it means but in short it is a truly consecrated missionary. One who does all they can to develop Christ-like attributes, if there is a Preach My Gospel in the house read chapter 6. But it is the difference between the 3rd missionary and the 4th that changes a person. A 3rd Missionary is obedient and has huge success on his mission but for all the wrong reasons, and as a result is left personally unbenefitted from his service. A 4th Missionary finds himself serving for the Lord and knows he can't do it all alone and comes home changed so that was the focus of the interview. President Trayner sat me down and looked over my self evaluation of the Christlike attributes and my goals to improve them and we talked about it. I felt loved, I felt like I can do this, and it helped me push through this week. I am doing my best to truly become that 4th Missionary.

So with our investigators and our work things went a lot better this week. We have been doing more to try to get Members present to our lessons and hit all of our goals and we have seen the fruits of our labors. Our numbers look a lot better but most importantly we are seeing change in our investigators. Well, for the most part.

Juan bailed on our Saturday lesson and then he didn't come to church Sunday so Elder Marble is pretty bummed because Juan is kind of his "White Whale" if I haven't already mentioned that. So really as of right now we aren't sure what it is we are going to do as it pertains to Juan but if he keeps showing us that he has no ganas to progress we are going to have to drop him which is going to be hard because we love him. He knows it too because we told him we love him and that's why we keep coming by. But I will let you know more about Juan probably next week when I know.

Yari, also has been avoiding us. Friday as the rain was pouring we moved our weekly planning back in the day so that we could accomodate her schedule and as we rode through the cold to her house we were excited to teach her. Well, we know she was home because she has a lock that can only be opened and locked from the inside but she didn't answer. We stood outside for like 20 minutes knocking and praying and unfortunately she just didn't ever choose to answer, so I think we may need to give her some time as well.

Now, Norma she came to church!! First time she has come and first time an investigator with a Baptisimal date has come which is so great. She still calls the Book of Mormon the bible but I feel like she is getting closer to being ready. Sunday as I walked into sacrament they told me that for the 2nd hour neither of the Doctrine Principle teachers were going to be there and so they asked me to give the lesson. Well, it happened to be on fasting and luckily for me it went pretty well. Afterwards Norma had a few questions about fasting and how often we can do it and if she can fast for strength. I think she loves the idea of this doctrine and we struck a chord, but it shows that she was paying attention and learned. That means she can be taught and so we are going by tomorrow I believe to have our next lesson. I have a great feeling about her.

The Guerrero family Myra and her children called us at like 12:30 to tell us that their youngest son was sick and that they weren't coming. Well Miracle of the week, they showed, why I dunno, how I dunno, but he got feeling better and they came. That right there increased my testimony of fasting so much because that is one of the things I was fasting for. They came, and although David was just kind of there to be there I feel like Myra as obnoxious as she can be felt the spirit and her kids as well. We have a lesson tonight with them and we are bringing a family that we want to fellowship with them with us to help out. Now we just have to get David, a BD (Baptisimal Date) and we have the whole family. I have a good feeling about them.

Daniel, well we didn't hear from his this week something happened and we hope to get with him soon.

Nele, Now I dunno if I mentioned Nele last week because we had basically given up on her but we stopped by and she told us her husband was in jail now but that she really wanted us to come back so we are hoping this trial will humble her enough to listen to us. Ojala.

Oh and I found a baby Jesus in a Rasca de Reyes, which is a sucky pan dulce and so I have to make tamales or something ridiculous. And I got to try Mole which is not very good.

 If you haven't gotten the chance to take me up on my challenge please do.  I want you all to read Alma 32 mostly the end where Amulek talks about a seed. I promise you guys that this gospel is true and that there are innumerable blessings we can receive by studying it and living it's principles. Keep doing what you need to do my family the things God has asked that we do and I promise that as you give him the only thing that isn't truly his, which is your will, you will be blessed. I am going to try to write a few real letters today but that will depend on time, 6 hours of P-day goes fast. I love you all and miss you all and hope to hear from you all soon. I leave you both my love and my testimony in the name of our savior Jesus Christ. Amen

Elder Bassett

No comments:

Post a Comment