So, this week has been pretty
Interesting. First of all Happy New Years my family I love you all and hope it
was a special one. I didn't get to write you on P-day because it was New years
eve and all but we did have what they call a Celestial P-day which is where a
P-day falls on a day where you can't be out prostelyting during the night. So
we all met up in McAllen or not all of us just the Missionaries that were
within reasonable driving distance and we met up and played some sports and got
to hang out and have a BBQ. I got to see Elder White, he was sick but was just
as funny as always. I also got to see Elder Holley, for the first time since I
came home I got to see him and was just stoked. We took a picture on his
polaroid so I have it in my journal but I forgot my camera back in Mercedes so
I didn't get to take one but no worries I have a few years to get one. After
the food we gathered in the gym to watch the rugby movie forever strong and I
was super surprised at all the parallels there are in it to missionary work or
just to life in general. It took on a whole new meaning I was impressed. Oh and
I starting learning crochet so just expect giant adult sized cocoons for
your birthdays...
So, like I said this week has been
interesting we have been trying very hard to improve on our finding because we
have hit what they call the "Valley of Death" Where the missionaries
got so excited about teaching and baptizing the people they had that they
forgot to find new ones. So we have been knocking and talking and trying but I
gotta say some people are just kind of rude and they have this whole, all
churches are true just as long as we talk about God we are all gonna be fine,
mentality which drives me nuts because they get offended when we tell them our
church is the true church. However through our knocking and such we found a few
new people that have invited us back, one family, the guerrero family, is a man
and woman (Not married woohoo) and four children two of which are baptisimal
age. At first with the Guerrero family we sat down and it seemed like the
mother was just trying to play a joke on her children but since then we have
been back twice and yesterday we committed Myra (the mother) and her two
children Josue and Regina to be baptized on the 24 of February. This is a lot
longer than we usually give our investigators for their baptisimal dates but we
have to find a time where David (The not father, nor husband) is home from work
and commit them not only to marriage but commit him to baptism. I am actually a
lot less worried than I was initially because Myra is showing true desires to
change their lives. She even referred us to her friends, we are going by
them tomorrow.
Second right now is Norma, now Norma
last week committed to church this past Sunday but after not being home for our
Saturday lesson and a No show to church we were super worried we had been
dropped. Turns out she had gone to stay with her mother during New years
because her ex-husband keeps sending her pictures of him and his new woman and
it is causing her to be depressed. It's really very sad but the book of Mormon
brings her peace even though she just calls it the Bible (We are working on
that one). She has also accepted a lesson with us at 4 today and we will be
bringing a couple of elderly people named the Deans. I believe Norma will be
baptized and that we can truly help change her life.
Juan, the Juan that cut his fingers
off. He had a bunch of problems with the thought of 1 prophet and one church
but we taught him that there are many prophets on the Earth but that only one
can be the head of the church. It was funny during that lesson because he kept
telling us how Christ's church should function and it just so happens to be the
way that the church functions. So we are seriously just about there with Juan,
he just needs to man up and get in the water so we can change his whole life
them baptize the rest of the family.
Yari, yeah with Yari and Danny we
found out that they aren't married either (woohoo) and so that is an obstacle
we will be facing but more than that an obstacle we face is just getting time
with them. Our first lesson with them since the lesson about her vengeful
father is tonight and so we are really gonna try hard to set some expectations
and try to help them understand that we can't help them if they don't let us.
And...of course we need to get them married. But Danny is 19, it's weird to
think that I am teaching a younger guy than me to marry the mother of his
child. Anyways that is South Texas, "Why would I get married, we have been
together 20 years, if we get married we will get divorced" It's so weird
to me.
Miracle of the week, There is a
sister we have been working with for referrals because she has been called to
work with the Recent converts of the spanish branch her name is Sister
Gutierrez. We stop by regularly to talk with her about referrals and she tells
us about all the people she has talked to that need the gospel and we have
tried to visit those people. Well, last night we went by and there was a young
man in her living room and he answered the door. His name is Daniel and he is
mentally handicapped I am not sure what he has or what it does but you can just
kind of tell that is the case. Well, Daniel told us that he is super excited
for the New Year because it means he can start a new chapter of his life and
put all the bad behind him. He also shared with us that on New Years eve God
gave him the chance to talk with his Grandparents who have both passed away,
which is nuts because the spirit was so strong as he told us that I know it is
true. So, we shared with him a short Doctrine of Christ lesson which covers
faith, repentance, Baptism, Gift of the Holy Ghost and then I invited him to be
baptized on the 3rd of Feb and he accepted. His comment after accepting was
that he could feel that God was happy with that decision and that he knows God
is mindful of him because he sent us to teach him. I know that this is true,
God is mindful of all of his children and does all he can to show them his
love.
My family I love you all very much
and I will write physical letters I just have not had time to do so. My
challenge for you this week, for all of you, is to do your best to recognize
how it is the Lord is mindful of you. And I want responses by Monday, Jessica
that'll be a great chance to get your email in my inbox so I can't lose it like
I did. Also, if you put this on the blog I extend this challenge to all those
who read this I want responses Justin.Bassett@myldsmail.net
or
529 W 3rd street apt #10 Mercedes
Texas, 78570.
My time is up, I hope you all know
that I love you and miss you. Your prayers carry me through my days and I need
them very much. I know this is the true church and that all of us together can
help build the Lords kingdom on the Earth. He his hastening his work and he
needs you all now more than ever. He is mindful of you and loves you and has
provided a way for us to be with him and to be like him. The book of Mormon is
true, read it. I leave you my testimony in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen
Elder Bassett
No comments:
Post a Comment